Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting Ready for Classes

In spite of the condition of our home, the fall semester at Andrews University continues to draw closer. This week I've been taking care of those somehow unforeseeable, yet seemingly endless series of tasks that are part of moving across the country. The theme lately seems to be: "I can't unpack this box until I have this space clear, but I can't clear off this space until I have storage for these items." Now that Ikea has been conquered, I'll spend the next few days assembling furniture. (Why did I pay to work in Ikea's sweatshop? Oh yeah, it was for the great bargain.)

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to get into the mental mode of school. I don't quite feel like a student yet, since I'm not constantly thinking about what tests, projects or assignments are coming up. And yet, my seminary entrance exams are coming up next week. I should be more concerned.

It's not that I'm not preparing. I've been going to the optional Greek review sessions this week (actually I'm in one now). They're helping me to get back into a deeper mode of Greek. (I've been reading my Greek New Testament off and on since college, but haven't been doing a lot of really technical study.) But I still need to get more serious about preparing for the general Bible knowledge exam. Can you name the major kings of both Israel and Judea in order? How about the names of the 12 apostles? Me either. Yet.

In any case, I'll finish registering for class hopefully by tomorrow (just got the last registration hold removed today). I'll assemble at least some of the Ikea furniture by the weekend, and then do a lot more preparation for these exams.

The new student orientation at the seminary begins next Wednesday. Classes the following Monday. Then I'll be in the thick of things. Since Jenn got the part time job as the executive assistant to the dean (Denis Fortin), I should be in class mostly in the mornings, and home watching Liam mostly in the afternoon (so she can be at work then). Hopefully we're able to finish settling in between now and so that I will be able to focus on my studies without trying to set things up or unpack boxes or make extra trips to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment