Saturday, October 3, 2009

The doer of the undoable

A couple weeks ago, my Spiritual Formation class took a day-long spiritual retreat. As part of that retreat, I wrote a short Psalm in the Hebrew style based on Psalm 103:1-5. I don't consider myself to be a poet or even artistic, but I thought I would share this anyway. It parallels my own experience with God, and, no doubt, the experience of many others.

First, Psalm 103, then my Psalm.

Ps. 103:1-5
   Praise the LORD, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.


Praise the Lord, my soul;
Everything that I am, praise his name forever.
Praise the God of heaven,
for his glory is never extinguished.
He is the God of forgiven debts and cleansed hearts.
He is the Lord of healed wounds.
He is the God of those he creates;
the Father of those he recreates.
He is the Lord of those he calls,
the enabler of those he sends.
He is the God who does the undoable;
who restores the unrestorable,
and buys back the worthless.
His passion has redeemed me
and his tenderness has won my heart.
He is the God of unlimited mercies
and his glory reigns forever
Praise the Lord.
Praise his holy name.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's really beautiful! Thanks for sharing, it was a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete