Sunday, September 6, 2009

Indian curries: Korma and Masala

A few people have asked for my curry recipes now, so I'm just going to post here. Here are two of the ones I make a lot. I'll also post vindaloo and my thai curry later. These are approximate because I don't really use recipes... Just add the spices to taste, I think I use a little more than I've listed here perhaps. These recipes serve 2-4 people depending on what you make for sides and how hungry you are!

These recipes are for the curries themselves, you can add whatever vegetables, proteins and starches you like. Sweet potatoes do not taste good in the korma.




For Garam Masala
I like to add chick peas, sometimes with tomatoes,peas and carrots to make a dish called Channa Masala. If you are going to add meat or tofu, add it to the onion spice mix before you add the broth for best flavor. Also, tofu must be baked or pan fried first.

Ingredients:
1/4C diced onion (sweet is best)
1 tbs curry powder (I use Andy's brand, which has turmeric, salt, pepper and onion powder in it)
2 tsp garam masala (ground spice blend)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp cardamom (ground)
1-2tbs olive oil or melted butter
1C vegetable broth or 1tsp bouillon paste with water

Directions:
Saute the onion on medium to low heat (depending on your range) in the butter or oil until it is coated, then add the spices. Stir continually until the onion is soft. Then add tomatoes. Next add broth and vegetables, tofu, chicken, potatoes or whatever! Simmer until the vegetables are all soft adding water as needed to maintain the right viscosity (it should be thick like porridge.) Serve over rice with flat bread like pita or naan and hummus on the side.



For Korma
I like to add cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, and peas to this. See Masala recipe for protein instructions.

Ingredients:
1/4C diced onion (sweet is best)
2 tbs curry
powder (I use Andy's brand, which has turmeric, salt, pepper and onion powder in it)
1/4C cashews (raw, unsalted)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cardamom (ground)
1 tsp sea salt
1-2tbs olive oil or melted butter
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
8oz coconut milk or half and half (do not use fat free)
1 tsp bouillon paste or 1 Tbs bouillon powder
1 Tbs plain yogurt (I use goat's milk or soy)
Minced cilantro for garnish

Directions:
Saute the onion on medium to low heat (depending on your range) in the butter or oil until it is coated, then add the spices. Stir continually until the onion is soft and add nuts. Then pour the coconut milk or cream into the mixture and add bouillon paste or powder. Stir in yogurt. Next add tomatoes and and vegetables and simmer until soft, adding water to maintain viscosity (it should be smoothie-like in thickness). Top with cilantro and serve over rice with flat bread on the side.

2 comments:

  1. I love Indian food & so if I get my act together, I may have to try these.

    Lance--keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it Joanie, it's so easy and tasty! Thanks, Lance. :)

    ReplyDelete