Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Give Thanks

It's Thanksgiving tomorrow. And you know what that means. The season for eating too much is upon us.(Pun, as always, intended.)

Tomorrow I will attempt to cook my first ever turkey (by myself). Sure I've watched/helped my mom do it a million times, and I was pretty confident a month ago when I offered, but now I'm nervous. This thought now consumes me, "What if I totally mess it up?!"

You might think I'm neurotic, especially if you know me well. And that's OK. I accept that this label sometimes fits me (better than my pants after the Thanksgiving meal!). But before you pass judgment, let me at least explain the reasons for my neurosis.

1.  I agreed to cook a vaguely "large" turkey. I was thinking in the neighborhood of 15-18 pounds--I'm pretty sure I mentioned this. The turkey I was given to cook is 22 pounds. HOLY COW (or should I say turkey?)...that's bigger than Liam.

2. I was planning to cook this turkey the way my mom does, in the oven. But my oven is terrible, it doesn't heat evenly, which is sort of important when it comes to cooking meat. So I'm cooking it in an electric roaster, which I have never before used.

3. This turkey is "pre-basted" I have no idea what that means. I will google it shortly because I'm not sure if I should still add a rub or not?

4. The buyer of said turkey did not realize that it needs to defrost 5lbs per day in the fridge and did not deliver it until Monday--frozen--it's been in my fridge ever since. So now I'm going to have to do the cold water bath for the last part, and pray that it stays cold enough, but not too cold, so that it defrosts but doesn't give the whole group food poisoning. 

Did I mention 22 pounds!?

So here's where I do some deep breathing, remember the family motto, and tell myself the truth about the situation.

1. This is Adventist Thanksgiving, so if the turkey isn't good, there will be a vegetarian roast to eat.
2. I have cooked things before for the first time, and they were fine.
3. The internet and my mother are no match for any new kitchen obstacle. By their powers combined I can conquer the huge turkey in my fridge. (Mom, if you are reading this, send me tips or I will call you having a meltdown tomorrow. Consider yourself warned)
4. It's just a turkey.
5. I have a meat thermometer (proud aren't you dad?) so as long as I get it to 168 degrees, people will not be sick.

I will post an update once the bird is cooked and let you know if I have conquered the turkey or if it has conquered me!

No comments:

Post a Comment